Feast of Tabernacles 2016
Jersey, Channel Islands: Site Description
In 2016 the Feast of Tabernacles in the British Isles was held on the island of Jersey. Even though it is an English-speaking territory, Jersey has a mix of British and French cultures. Jersey is a Crown dependency of the United Kingdom and is the largest of the Channel Islands, situated between England and France a few miles off the Normandy coast.
Jersey famously gave its name to the U.S. state of New Jersey. In recognition for help given to him during his exile in Jersey in the 1640s, King Charles II of England gave George Carteret, bailiff and governor of Jersey, a large grant of land in the American colonies between the Hudson and Delaware Rivers, which he promptly named New Jersey.
Among many things of interest for the family to do, the island is known for its beaches, walking trails along cliffs and inland valleys, as well as its defensive castles and golf courses. The Jersey War Tunnel complex, in a former hospital excavated by slave labour from Russia, documents the island’s five-year German occupation during World War II. The famous Durrell Wildlife Park is a popular place to visit; formerly the Jersey Zoo, it now focuses on protecting endangered species.
Jersey is a small island, 9 miles long by 5 miles wide, but it is full of history going back several thousand years — as shown by a hoard of up to 50,000 Roman and Celtic coins that were recently discovered by two men with metal detectors. In 2012 the same two men had found 60 Iron Age coins in the same area.
Hotel staff members are warm and friendly, and the rooms offer good value for money. There is also a heated pool (with water slides) and a gym that is free to hotel residents. The hotel is within a two-minute walk of Howard Davis memorial park, a lovely green park and rose garden, that serves cream teas, etc. The shopping area of St Helier, the island’s main town is 10 minutes’ walk away, or a £4 taxi ride.
How to get there
By air: Airlines that fly into Jersey airport include Aer Lingus, British Airways, Flybe and EasyJet. Access by air is from Dublin, Ireland, and a number of U.K. airports, including London Gatwick, Southampton, Glasgow and Manchester.
By sea: The fast ferry from Poole, Dorset, takes four hours to travel the 120 miles. The slow ferry from Portsmouth takes 10 hours.
Merton Hotel, Merton Suites (self-catering) and Pomme d’Or Hotel: Rooms are subject to availability, so early booking is essential. Hotel guests book directly and pay one night’s deposit. The remainder is paid on arrival at the hotel. Standard double rooms can accommodate two people. There is no space for an extra bed or mattress. Price is per room, not per person. Guests of Merton and Pomme d’Or Hotels and Merton Suites are welcome to use Aquadome leisure facilities.
Please note, for these hotels the following charges will apply in the event of cancellation:
- Up to 42 days prior to arrival: booking deposit.
- 29-42 days prior to arrival: 50% of total charge.
- 1-28 days prior to arrival: 90% of total charge.
- No notice: 100% of total charge.
Merton Hotel: Guests will need to contact our reservations team at 0845 800 5555 (inside UK) / +44 845 800 5555 (Intl) or email@example.com and give this promo code: ID29631. The following block of rooms will be held for COGWA members, while available:
- 30 doubles on a bed-and-breakfast (BB) room rate of £67 per room per night.
- 10 family suites with bunk beds (double room + room with bunk beds) on a BB room rate of £117 per room per night.
- Half board supplement: £19.50 per adult and £9.75 per child up to 11 years old.
Merton Suites (self-catering): Guests must contact the reservations team directly for bookings. Rates change and are dependent on availability. The following current rates are shown for the suites as a guideline only. (You’ll have an opportunity to save 20% on unit costs, however, if you’re willing to make an advance purchase. See “Advance Purchase Rate” below.)
Rates until 21 October (again, see below for how you can save 20% on the rates):
- Dodo suite £124 per room per night on room-only basis (2 adults, 2 children up to 16 years).
- Durrell suite £162 per room per night on room-only basis (2 adults, 2 children up to 16 years, larger).
- Jambo suite £258 per room per night on room-only basis (4 adults, 4 children up to 16 years, larger).
- Trinity suite £364 per room per night on room-only basis (6 adults, 6 children up to 16 years, larger).
Rates from 21 October on are higher holiday rates (remember, however, a 20% deduction is available):
- Dodo suite £178 per room per night on room-only basis.
- Durrell suite £232 per room per night on room-only basis.
- Jambo suite £369 per room per night on room-only basis.
- Trinity suite £494 per room per night on room-only basis.
Breakfast supplement to eat at the hotel next door is £10 per adult and £5 per child up to 11 years old. Dinner supplement is £19.50 per adult and £9.75 per child up to 11 years old.
Advance Purchase Rate for Merton Suites — save up to 20%: If you pay in full for your stay at the time of booking, at least 30 days before your arrival date, you will receive the following discount off Merton Suites' best available rate:
- 20% discount for bookings of seven or more nights.
- 15% discount for bookings of four to six nights.
- 10% discount for bookings of three nights.
The advance purchase rate bookings do not allow cancellations, changes or refunds for non-arrival. Applies to three-night minimum stays between 29 August and 28 October.
Pomme d’Or Hotel (a 20-minute walk or five-minute taxi/10-minute bus ride from meeting hall at the Merton Hotel): Guests will need to contact our reservations team at +0845 800 5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org and give this promo code: ID29632. The following block of rooms are held for COGWA members, while available:
- 30 double rooms on a BB room rate of £99 per room per night.
- 5 doubles with extra child bed on a BB room rate of £123 per room per night.
- 2 twin rooms with child bunks on a BB room rate of £148.50 per room per night.
- Half board supplement: £21.50 per adult and £10.75 per child up to 11 years old.
Radisson Blu Hotel (a five-minute taxi ride from the meeting hall). The following rooms are reserved until 27 May at the reduced prices shown below:
- 5 classic double inland-facing bedrooms (£163 per room per night).
- 5 executive double sea-view bedrooms (£183 per room per night).
- 5 double deluxe sea-view bedrooms (£203 per room per night).
A first-night deposit is required from everyone, which would not be refundable in case of cancellation. Cancellation would need to be two months prior to arrival.